This week Ariel and MJ are joined by Mia of the Stitches ‘n YOs podcast to talk about knitting groups. Ariel and Mia met years ago at a knitting group in Oregon, and they share their experiences there and with other knitting groups.
Episode 28: Birds of a Feather Knit Together
Featured intro music excerpt: “She’s Got Issues” by The Offspring
What we’ve been up to
MJ has been knitting
- Nada, but she has made great strides in her education
Mia has been knitting
Wait… who’s Mia? She’s our special guest here to talk about knitting groups. She’s knithappensyo on ravelry, and also has a podcast Stitches ‘n YO’s – warning, explicit content
Ariel has been knitting
- Finished her Heirloom Project Blanket 3
- Working on a sock design
Ariel’s WIP Counter
Something went awry with the WIP counter, but Ariel has 31 current WIPs.
All of us have been in various knitting groups over our knitting careers. We talk about where to find one, and what we like and don’t like.
How do I find a knitting group?
- Search ravelry for groups in your area
- Ask at your LYS
- Meeting other people interested in knitting
- Getting social time
- Seeing what patterns are new and exciting, and what other people are knitting
- Knitting group drama
- Being judged based on what you are knitting
- Getting distracted while working on more complex projects
- Boring food choices / being tempted by half-price baked goods